Thursday, December 31, 2009

Adios 2009!

I don't like odd numbers. I prefer even ones. 2009 was very uneven.

Its New Year's Eve 2010 and I've waited until the waning moments of 2009 to put a bow on the year that would never end. Without question, 2009 was the most difficult year of my entire life. Just about anything that could have happened did. From my truck breaking down on the 55 freeway at 12:30 am, financial struggles at home, disappointment, heartache, a quarter life crisis, and even my dad falling ill the day after Thanksgiving (although, now he's healthy) the year was not boring by any stretch of the imagination.

The hits kept on coming and every month there was something new to overcome. I made my share of mistakes to be sure and I can honestly say that I have learned from them. With 100% humility, I can proclaim that I am different person than what I was exactly one year ago today. I am closer to my family and I have cast aside people who were poison to my soul and heart. 2009 never got off onto the right foot from day one. I remember this time last year like it was yesterday. I was confused, conflicted, and was not listening to God's voice clearly. I was not in a good place.

There were some high points and I would have to say that my trip to Belize was the highlight of the year. My first trip outside of the country, Belize allowed me to regather myself and to put my focus onto others instead of myself. We spent 10 days serving, forming lifelong bonds, and fellow shipping with some of the best people that I've ever met. I miss them all. That trip and the friends that I left behind will always have a special place in my heart and one day I hope to return to visit them again.

Another highlight of 2009, was my reconnection with my sister. Over the years for whatever reason, we grew distant but that is no more. She has been a tremendous blessing to me and has helped me deal with a lot.

2009 was no slouch with regards to concerts. I was finally able to see Doves in Anaheim and LA on consecutive nights. They are my favorite band and the reason why I love indie music. Other notable shows included Miike Snow, Mayer Hawthorne, JET, Switchfoot, and Jack Penate. I know I'm forgetting other bands that I've seen this year because the list is too long! This was also the year where I fell in love with House music. Thanks R.A.! It was a good year for music. Don't be surprised if you hear more of Mayer Hawthorne & Jack Penate in 2010. Look out!

The Angels...no comment. It was a great season and I am proud for all they accomplished and overcame but the season was still a failure. As it stands, 2010 looks like it will be a rough year.

In short, I grew up a lot in 2009. It wasn't easy and I don't expect that 2010 will be a bed of roses. By God's grace, I do feel that I've turned the corner and I have no intention of looking back. I hope everyone who reads this will have an unbelievable 2010!

Peace.

No comments: