Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Spring Training Day Three 3/10/07

The final day of our trip had arrived. We got to the ballpark at 10 instead of 11:30 for a 1:05 game. Today, the Angels were playing the hated Oakland A’s. Adjacent to the main parking lot there are three practice fields and a number of the Angels were taking batting practice. Angels’ such as Bartolo Colon, Jered Weaver, Scott Sheilds, and Kelvim Escobar were catching fly balls and giving them to the children. That was cool.

A half hour later, a few of us walked around Tempe Diablo Stadium looking for any balls that were hit out during batting practice. Bryan was lucky and found one and some girls were able to reach through a fence to grab another. Twenty-minutes later, I walked to a walkway where players often walk in between the practice fields and Tempe Diablo Stadium. I was able to snag a few autographs from a few minor leaguers. Alex was able to get relief pitcher Justin Spier. But I thought he was just another minor leaguer. I was bummed because Spier was one of our big free-agent acquisitions.

When the gates opened at 11:30 I went to the first base line and waited for more autographs. I waited for until 12:45 until I scored and got John Lackey and Jered Weaver on separate balls. That made my day because I really wanted Jered Weaver’s autograph since last year. Alex and Jonathan were able to get Angel shortstop Orlando Cabrera’s autograph. Sunday was a great success.

The game went back and forth between the Angels and the A’s. The A’s jumped out in front early but the game was equalized by a solo homerun in the bottom first inning by Casey Kotchman. The Angels carried the lead for most of the game but in the eighth inning the A’s jumped into the driver’s seat. Unable to mount a rally, the Halos fell to the A’s. I really didn’t care if the Angel’s won but I was just excited to see them play. Baseball season is just around the corner and I can hardly wait!

Overall, the trip was a lot of fun. Although, I felt the players were not as accessible this year compared to last, it was still plenty of fun. I hope that we can go again next year. Every baseball fan should try to make it to spring training because it is different atmosphere unlike the regular season.






No comments: