Thursday, August 27, 2009

14 Days Without A Car

Living through 14 days without a car was an interesting experience.

On August 13th, I was driving on the 73 fwy and while I was transitioning onto the 55 I heard a "SNAP". Immediately, my truck began to slow down and I came to a stop on the Baker St. off ramp. I knew something went terribly, horribly, and disastrously wrong. In my mind, I kept saying to myself, "I can't believe this is happening, I can't believe this is happening". Fortunately, I was with a friend and we had an unforgettable time waiting for the tow truck to arrive. It definitely was one for the books...After a long wait, the tow truck showed up and we were on our way. We left the truck at a local Firestone auto shop for the night because by this time it was 1 am. I would deal with it in the morning...

Firestone sucks. In my mind, they are not real mechanics. They could not fix my problem. My truck broke down because the timing chain failed. I don't know much about cars and I have a difficult time picturing auto parts. Timing chains are simple. Just imagine a giant bicycle chain wrapped around the inside of the engine. It regulates the timing and rhythm of the engine. All in all, its a very important component. And so naturally, when it brakes while driving, you are screwed. Imagine again, a metal chain snapping at 70 mph and the force created from the engine. Inertia had its way, and chunks of metal, like bomb shrapnel damaged all 8 cylinders inside the engine. I was right, and I knew that something disastrous happened to my venerable little truck.

I decided to take my truck to a friend's auto shop in Costa Mesa. Its a small shop. A sort of 'mom & pop' operation run by two brothers, Tim & Mike. Tim & Mike are good guys. I trust them. Its hard to find a good mechanic who will tell you the truth and who will do the right thing.

Not being able to do what you want when you want was a drag at times, but it allowed me to recollect myself and to slow down. I read more, played my guitar, and relaxed. I relied on family and friends for rides around town. Almost every morning, my mom would shuttle me to work (just like the old days). I could tell that she liked driving me around and I enjoyed our short 8 minute commutes to work. In the afternoon, my dad or mom would wait for me to emerge out of the office front doors and we'd head home. Through this experience, I learned that if you're lucky you'll have a family that will pitch in when you're in a bind. Friends are good and do help, but family will always be there. That is how a family should work.

Here are a few other insights: 1. Preventative maintenance is a good thing. Don't ignore the warning signs. 2. Save money. 3. Don't go into unnecessary debt 4. Most importantly, its time for me to get serious with life. I know God has intervened on my behalf countless times and this incident was definitely no exception. This story could have been a lot worse for me.

Looking back, I know that I grew as a person from this experience. 14 days without a car was a trial but God helped me along the way. And maybe one of these days I'll ask my mom for another lift to work, for old times sake.

No comments: