Wednesday, November 28, 2007

AIDS Experience

Last night, was able to visit the "World Vision Experience: AIDS" exhibit. It was staged at Saddleback Church in conjunction with the church's Worldwide AIDS Summit which kicks off tomorrow. Each person is given an ipod shuffle and is led on a journey through the lives of real individuals living with or affected by AIDS. The exhibit has multiple story-lines and everyone embarks on a different journey. My tour was of a Kenyan Boy named Kombo. Living with AIDS, each stage of the experience gives some small insight into his daily life. Near the end of the exhibit everyone congregates into a room designed as a clinic. Each person is told to get their hand stamped to learn their fate. My stamp was a bright red "+"

In most industrialized nations, AIDS is still a major problem but with new medicines, people are living longer lives. However, in Africa this is not the case and millions of men, women, and children die every year. Its a sad reality. Often the biggest culprit is unsafe sex or drug abuse. AIDS is in many ways, a preventable disease but it is filled with many cultural barriers, especially in Africa.

Over 15 years ago, a very close relative of mine died of AIDS. I still remember visiting him when he was sick. At the time, I did not know what disease he had, I just knew he was sick. A few years later, my parents told me the cause of his death and his circumstances. Since he opted for hospice care, we were able to visit frequently during his illness. I will never forget the stench of the ointments to sooth his wounds and I hope I never do...Near the end of his life, he accepted Christ into his life and I have no doubt that he will be in Heaven one day. Even though, I am sad he is no longer with us, I am glad he is in a better place where there is no pain.

Even though Saddleback receives a lot of criticism for hosting an AIDS conference, I feel that it is vital that the Christian community stands against this disease. We in America have been given so much with regards to technology, money, and influence. In my mind, it is a greater sin to ignore the beggar on the side of the street who is pleading for help. Ignorance is not bliss...IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

World Vision Experience:AIDS
World Aids Summit

No comments: